I just installed Debian base on the machine that was a Redhat 6.X box.
I was looking at the debian site trying to figure out how to do a
minimal installation of X windows. Looking at all the packages under
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/ confused me a bit. I looked at
the howto and I went in to denial.  I don't want every feature,
application, etc,, that comes with Gnome or KDE.  I really like
Afterstep so that's the direction I want to go. I find that using a
minimal set of tools lets me understand the internals of any system and
reduces the clutter.  To much stuff is just, to much stuff in my book.
(KISS = Keep It Simple Sam)

"Does anyone have or know of websites I can read that will help me
better understand the internals of X windows?"   I know I will need
Xfree, Afterstep, and other components to make this work. X windows has
just boggled my mind when it comes to configuration.  I had times when
it just doesn't work because I don't understand what to tweek to get it
to run.

What I presently have installed is Debian 2.2.20,  ssh, samba, vlock,
apache, mysql, joe, and php4.  I want X windows so I can use a graphical
HTML editor (unknown).  Once X windows is installed I'll install Mozilla
and thats about it.

Eventually I want to have only Linux "servers" in the house and moving
to the desktop when I can get more up to date hardware for my kid's so
they can run Wine or other windows emulator for the games they like.  I
also need to be able to support the environment so it doesn't drive me
crazy.

I have these websites bookmarked for study. I have found having more
then 1 source of information is important.  Each community has it's own
resources and ideas on how to do things that help in learning.

http://www.x.org/
http://www.xfree86.org/
http://www.afterstep.org/

Thanks