Sam,
I'm thinking this is probably the easiest thing to do:

apt-get install -s mozilla  --OR--
apt-get install -s afterstep

the '-s' says to show what it would do without actually doing it.
both mozilla and afterstep will require X11.  Once you see what it will
do, just rerun without the '-s' option and it will install what's
required.  Debian rocks.

other options:
tasksel, dselect, aptitude (my personal favorite) for selecting
individual packages.

Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I just installed Debian base on the machine that was a Redhat 6.X box.
> I was looking at the debian site trying to figure out how to do a
> minimal installation of X windows. Looking at all the packages under
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/ confused me a bit. I looked at
> the howto and I went in to denial.  I don't want every feature,
> application, etc,, that comes with Gnome or KDE.  I really like
> Afterstep so that's the direction I want to go. I find that using a
> minimal set of tools lets me understand the internals of any system and
> reduces the clutter.  To much stuff is just, to much stuff in my book.
> (KISS = Keep It Simple Sam)
>
> "Does anyone have or know of websites I can read that will help me
> better understand the internals of X windows?"   I know I will need
> Xfree, Afterstep, and other components to make this work. X windows has
> just boggled my mind when it comes to configuration.  I had times when
> it just doesn't work because I don't understand what to tweek to get it
> to run.
>
> What I presently have installed is Debian 2.2.20,  ssh, samba, vlock,
> apache, mysql, joe, and php4.  I want X windows so I can use a graphical
> HTML editor (unknown).  Once X windows is installed I'll install Mozilla
> and thats about it.
>
> Eventually I want to have only Linux "servers" in the house and moving
> to the desktop when I can get more up to date hardware for my kid's so
> they can run Wine or other windows emulator for the games they like.  I
> also need to be able to support the environment so it doesn't drive me
> crazy.
>
> I have these websites bookmarked for study. I have found having more
> then 1 source of information is important.  Each community has it's own
> resources and ideas on how to do things that help in learning.
>
> http://www.x.org/
> http://www.xfree86.org/
> http://www.afterstep.org/
>

> Thanks