On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 00:16, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking to add video capture to my RH Linux box.  I've been looking at
> cards and come up with two that I think I like:
>
> Kworld TV Tuner, Video Capture card with Remote, Model KW-TV878RF
> Price: 39.00
>
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 Model# 980 PCI TV Tuner Card
> Price: 145.00
>
> Both support the 640x480 I targeted as a minimum resolution.  Being NTSC
> is 525 line interlaced, the extra 720x480 the Hauppage supports doesn't
> seem justified by the extra cost.

Resolution is a pretty meaningless measure. BT8x8 max out 720x as well.
TV 'resolution' is analog horizontally. 640 gives you 'true' square
pixels. 720 is what DVD and pro-grade digital video uses, (which
includes 16 pixels of overscan area...) and pretty much the max you can
get out of an analog TV signal. If you really want a headache, try this
on for size: http://www.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/

Note, you're looking at two completely different classes of hardware
here. The Kworld is a BT878 based card, which should work fine.

The WinTV PVR 250 has a hardware MPEG2 encoder, and as far as I can tell
it will ONLY capture in MPEG2. This makes it a foreign element to most
linux TV/video software. There's a driver for it, but most software will
not be able to deal with MPEG2. To watch live video, you'd have to
decode the mpeg2 in software to actually display anything. Whereas a
BT848/878 card can DMA live video directly to your video card's overlay
plane, using no CPU time. As named, its ment for PVR use. MythTV is
working on support for it. See: ivtv.sourceforge.net www.mythtv.org

If you only plan on capturing MPEG2 video and/or only use MythTV, the
PVR 250 would be quite slick. Otherwise a BT848/878 card would be more
useful.