On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 00:16, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking to add video capture to my RH Linux box.  I've been looking at
> cards and come up with two that I think I like:
>
> Kworld TV Tuner, Video Capture card with Remote, Model KW-TV878RF
> Price: 39.00
>
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 Model# 980 PCI TV Tuner Card
> Price: 145.00
>
> Both support the 640x480 I targeted as a minimum resolution.  Being NTSC
> is 525 line interlaced, the extra 720x480 the Hauppage supports doesn't
> seem justified by the extra cost.

If the KWorld board uses a BT878 chipset (as it's model name implies), I
bet it can do 768x480 capture.  That's the maximum my (discontinued ATI
TV Wonder) board can do.  However, I don't really recommend '878 boards,
as the ones I've used seem to have poor tuners.  I see annoying
interference patterns even with a pretty good cable connection.

In my highly subjective experience, the PVR-250 and other boards tend to
have better image quality.  (Though I should warn that I am currently
working for Adaptec, and they make a board which uses most of the same
silicon as the PVR-250.)  But, beyond image quality, the big advantage
to the Hauppauge board is that it does on-board MPEG2 encoding.  That's
a really nice feature, as it offloads the CPU from doing heavy lifting,
and MPEG2 also happens to be the format you need for making DVDs.

The Hauppauge board doesn't work as well for watching Live TV
(uncompressed video), but I guess support for that functionality is
improving.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Windows isn't CrippleWare