On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:38:13 -0500
Scot Jenkins <scot+tcluggen at thinkunix.net> wrote:

> I'll too recommend mp3blaster.  It's a nice curses interface and works
> well even on an old P75 with a good SB soundcard.

Hmm.. P75 sounds a little too slow for MP3s with higher bitrates like 256. The soundcard itself doesn't really matter in terms of decoding performance; I just don't think a P75 has quite enough horsepower for the job.

The quality of the card does come into play, as you will be listening to it's DSP, D/A converter, linestage and possibly power amp. Use a card with an output chip that is discrete from the main audio chipset, like a CT4170 (SB16 PnP). That card has a little 6x6W power chip, but I am guessing it's sandbagged to 3x3W for sake of distortion and component life. You might also decide to use an external power amp, like a stereo reciever.. there are some tradeoffs to each method.

-L