On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:57:15 -0500
Ryan Ware <rware at interplastic.com> wrote:

> I agree with Sam on liking decent documentation.  Lacking that
> somethings feel too much like a do it yourself kit with pieces
> missing.  Part of Linux's lack of documentation right now is just the
> speed at which it is evolving.  Your more stable Unix's that are now
> being polished for the most part have much more complete documentation
> it seems to me.  I think Linux will get better documentation in the
> future also.  Of course this too is just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against decent documentation.  But, to have every single step laid out, of any and all possible causes/issues/problems/etc gets overly burdensome at times.  There are particular instances where things are taken for granted that the person knows specific steps or procedures to get to a point of what they are trying to accomplish.

There's a point where documentation is good and beneficial, and there's a point where it's cumbersome and detrimental.  Where that point is, depends upon each person.  So, in a sense they have to write it to a particular low level of understanding.

I'm still learning a lot, but IMO, to have every single step laid out and written for me takes away part of the enjoyment of getting things to work.  It can be boring cookie cutter work, and can lead to the thought of "Why do I need to learn this, it's documented for me.  If anything goes wrong, I'll just reference the book.  Or call XXX vendor for support on all issues."

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"