On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:42:13 -0500
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy at veldy.net> wrote:

> Try booting and installing a kernel other than the default (I
> installed the XFS version) with Slackware 9.0.  It still installs the
> modules for the default kernel, so nothing works upon reboot (I had no
> networking ability or anything).  I was forced to recompile the kernel
> from source to get it to work properly (only way I could get the
> proper modules).  I think Slackware breaks handily when you take it
> off the well trodden path.

I dunno what you were doing wrong, but compiling and installing new and
test kernels is how I got into slackware in the first place. I used to
be an avid RedHat user, but as curiousity got the best of me, and I
wanted to try new things such as compiling new kernels and whatnot,
invariably I would break lots of things under DeadRat. Slackware has
never given me trouble in this department, save for occasionaly not
getting the correct modules for my sound card. And using test kernels
from the early 2.5.x days that simply hosed everything. But I doubt
that's Slackware's fault.

At the risk of sounding condescending, you may want to examine your
build method to verify you are building and installing the correct
modules.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com
hinz0047 at tc.umn.edu |  http://rudie.net

Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch
Liberty: a well armed sheep expressing his rights.