In no particular order:

awk
rogue
fuser (even though it doesn't do what the name implies)
killall (Linux version)
jot

Every once in awhile I pick up a sob story on usenet or sun-managers about
someone who came from a Linux background and used SunOS' killall, thinking
it did what Linux's killall does.  It doesn't.  Not at all.  It does
EXACTLY what the name implies.  This makes for some great fodder when the
person ran killall on, say, a large financial firm's E10k.

So while the BOFH side of me really likes the finger-of-death tool that
Sun has bestowed upon us, I sometimes yearn for the Linuxy version on my
BSDI boxes (although FreeBSD does have it).

Jot is a neat one - it's part of standard BSD, I've never seen it included
in a Linux distro.  From the manpage:
NAME
     jot - print sequential or random data

Yeah, it sounds really dull and stupid, but you wouldn't believe how handy
it is.  Like to setup an in-addr zone quickly:

jot 254 1 | \
awk '{ printf("%s\t\tIN\tPTR\t192-168-1-%s.domain.com.\n", $1, $1) }'
gives:
1               IN      PTR     192-168-1-1.domain.com.
2               IN      PTR     192-168-1-2.domain.com.
254		IN	PTR	192-168-1-254.domain.com.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Ben Bargabus wrote:

> I was bored and thinking that it would be interesting to hear what some
> of your favorite Linux/Unix programs are.  Maybe an interesting response
> will inspire me to learn something new.  Anyway, what are your favorite
> programs, why, and what do you use them for?  (if any of you are as
> bored as me today maybe this will start an interesting thread ;-)
> Later,
> Ben.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator