You will want to try "alsaconfig" or "sndconfig" to properly set up your
sound card. Personally, I would try "alsaconfig" first, since it seems
you have a PCI sound card. "sndconfig" is more useful with older onboard
sound cards or ISA sound cards.

If you don't want to dink around loading the proper modules to get MP3s
to play, then might I suggest going to Mandrake9.1 or 9.2? Mandrake is
based off of RedHat and has a similar "look & feel" and yet doesn't
restrict the MP3 playback.

If you don't have a cable modem, you could always give me a call/visit.
I have a lot of distributions on CDR, including Mandrake9.1.

--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.