I signed up for service from MediaOne in the fall of 2000 and things ran
pretty smoothly until June of 2002 when AT&T decide to restructure their
provisioning. At that point the connection went out and the modem
wouldn't connect. Repeated calls to tech support got the usual response
of "shut down the modem, shut down the PC, wait 45 seconds, restart the
PC and restart the modem ... doesn't work? Sorry someone will have to
call back" and of course no one ever called back. This went on for a
week or so, and then they said they'd have to send someone out but that
it would be at least 10 days. At that point I canceled.

Of course, with AT&T, canceling the service is just the beginning of the
nightmare. Getting them to stop billing me and credit my account for the
extra charges took a half dozen calls over the next four months.  The
problem seemed to be that when I returned the cable modem it had never
been posted to my account. They could search their database and find
that the modem had been returned to their Roseville storefront, but the
return had never been linked to my account. Finally a supervisor
overrode the whole thing and it was straightened out ... or so I thought.

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for Comcast broadband through the deal
we have here at the U. A confused sales guy called me back to see if I
wanted to switch my current broadband service over to the U plan. While
the AT&T supervisor had cleared up the billing on my account, he hadn't
dealt with the modem issue and so as far as Comcast was concerned I
still had service even though I hadn't been billed for 18 months. He
also said that they wouldn't be able to activate a new modem on the
account until the old modem came off, but said he would pass it on to
the techs. The installer came out and the modem was provisioned without
a problem so I'm hoping that the 'techs' cleared it up, although I
wouldn't be all that surprised to get a bill that included billing for
18-months of service and the missing modem - only time will tell.

Once the guy left I cloned the IP address of the desktop into my SMC
access point and everything has worked fine since then. The performance
is quite a bit better than what I get here at the U so hopefully things
will work out. I haven't put up any servers yet, but I will probably
punch a hole for a ssh server in the near future so I can rsync my linux
boxes between work and home.

--rick