I suppose I should throw in some comments on this one, too.
My mom has been using AT&T and Comcast on and off when my sister has been
home from college.  Overall, the service is decent.  When I'm there,
everything seems to be working quite well, and speeds are nice.
My mom has complained that sometimes things are slow, but I think that is
their main page, since they have webmail provided there and that's mainly
what she would use.  Never any speed complaints from my sister, and she
uses other e-mail.
Their tech support is less than desirable as far as I can tell.  I spent 2
hours being their tech support while I was out of town because Comcast
couldn't figure out what was wrong...but I eventually could.  This
wouldn't be a problem for an advanced user, though.  It ended up being
something fairly simple IIRC.
The other major problem was with getting them to cancel service.  The last
time my mom cancelled her service they were still sending her bills (new
bills, not something she forgot to pay) 2 months after she cancelled it.
This was eventually remedied and she didn't pay any more than she should
have, but it was a bit of a hassle.
Overall, I think that they would be sufficient for a geek who likes fast
speeds and doesn't need to run services locally.  I wouldn't recommend
them for someone who knows nothing about computers, though, unless you
feel like supporting them.