On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:22:54 -0600
"Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org> wrote:

> The entire concept behind DHCP is that the client can just plug in
> and get an address, along with netmask, nameserver and gateway
> configuration information without any prior configuration. (Other
> information can be sent as well, but it's not commonly used for
> end-users)
>
> The DHCP server then sends a response to the clients MAC address,
> with the configuration information, the packet as a destination
> address of the IP assigned to the client in some circumstances:
>
> There is no need to pre-configure the client in any way, other than
> to tell it to use DHCP.

Thanks for the overview, I knew part of the DHCP process but not all
of it.  I'm by no means strong in the networking aspect.  I did some
digging on IPCop's website, and here is what I was referring to:
--------------------
 Next, select the Address settings menu item to configure the way your
interface gets its IP address information. This is dependent on your
ISP and connection.

Static addressing is used when your ISP has supplied you with a
permanent IP address. Enter it in the IP address box of the dialog.
IPCop will automatically choose a Network mask. You may modify the
network mask as needed.

DHCP is used when your ISP has indicated you are to use automatic
addressing.

Some ISP's, require you to provide a hostname to their DHCP server.
This probably is not IPCop's hostname. If it's needed, you can
probably use the first part of the fully qualified domain name you
noted while gathering the network parameters, above.

If your connection is via PPPOE, your ISP will supply all necessary
information during the initial connection, so you won't have to do
anything, after selecting it.

If your connection is via PPTP, you will have to supply your RED
network IP address and Network mask, just like the static addressing
case. This address is almost always 10.0.0.150 with a network mask of
255.255.255.0.

You may choose to configure an ORANGE interface. Its configuration is
identical to the way you configured your GREEN interface, above.

You can even reconfigure your GREEN interface at this time, by
selecting it from the interface menu.

When you are done, select the Ok button, to return to the Network
Configuration Menu.
---------------------
Here's the page for further information:
http://www.ipcop.org/1.2.0/en/install/html/initial-configuration.html

Upon further reading, and checking a link directing here:
http://www.ipcop.org/1.2.0/en/install/html/decide-configuration.html#checking-dhcp-hostname

It looks like I'm either interpreting it wrong, or you do need to
specify an IP address and hostname.  But, rather of your client
machine? Not the ISP's?

> You've changed your display settings, not the composition settings.

I didn't touch the display settings.  I changed it in the
composition options . Although, I did find that I forgot to click an
option. Better?

Before I forget, thanks to Loren, Tony and Dan for their help.  I am
talking about DHCP from the ISP.  Not the internal green LAN.  If you
follow thru on the configuration for the RED interface, there are DHCP
options when using a NIC for the RED interface..  See the link I
posted above and how it requests information.

I realize I'm using v1.2, that's the version of the disc that I had up
there.  I did burn a v1.3 of IPCop, but when I went to install it, the
disc booted then failed to load beyond the initial screen.

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"