On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:00:17PM -0600, Shawn wrote:

[I am refraining from reformatting your message]

> The IPCop configuration requests the DHCP server address.  When I tell it to get information from the ISP with a DHCP configuration, it requests that information.  I have not seen it gather that information.

The entire concept behind DHCP is that the client can just plug in and
get an address, along with netmask, nameserver and gateway configuration
information without any prior configuration. (Other information can be sent
as well, but it's not commonly used for end-users)

When a computer requests an IP address on a network, it sends a broadcast
to port 67 (bootps), from a source port of 68 (bootpc):

18:11:47.868728 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps:  xid:0xbefadd40 file ""[|bootp] [tos 0x10]

The DHCP server then sends a response to the clients MAC address, with
the configuration information, the packet as a destination address of the
IP assigned to the client in some circumstances:

18:11:48.041983 10.168.0.1.bootps > 10.168.0.216.bootpc:  xid:0xbefadd40 Y:10.168.0.216 S:10.168.0.1 file ""[|bootp] [tos 0x10]

The client is now configured, and will renew the lease after an interval
specified by the DHCP server.

There is no need to pre-configure the client in any way, other than to
tell it to use DHCP.

[snip]

> Uhh, to know where to pull the dynamic address from?  If you have a better alternative, offer it up instead of asking the same damn question over and over again.

See above.

> > Your email is poorly formatted, please configure your client to
> > linewrap at 70 characters.
> >
> My e-mail was formatted properly.  Most clients I know will accept 72 character wide e-mails.  You're e-mail client must be the one messing it up.  But, since you bitched so eloquently about it.  I changed it to 70.  Satisfied?

You've changed your display settings, not the composition settings.

Review your original message here, as seen by everyone else:

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-November/061709.html

And my reply, which I reformatted your original text in:

http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-November/061710.html