I guess I'm more familiar with Smoothwall, the "parent" of IPCOP.
I see absolutely no reason to need their DHCP server IP address or
gateway. With Smoothwall you just tell it to use DHCP on the RED
interface and it receives it's IP address from the ISP.

With that said, I have done traceroutes out of my LAN to somewhere like
Google and picked up some of my ISP's gateways along the way.

Another issue that I thought I might run into is the MAC address problem
like you did. The ISP has linked the customer's connection to their
network to a specific MAC address, which can be a pain if you originally
had a software firewall on a PC and now wish to put a hardware firewall
in the middle. Well, thank goodness with Linux, there is a way to
"spoof" the MAC address. I looked into just such a situation for my
Smoothwall, but ended up not needing it with Comcast (was AT&T). I have
actually changed the machine (and NICs) that my Smoothwall runs on 3
times over the course of two years and have never had connectivity issues.

I have the instructions saved for Smoothwall if anyone needs them, they
may apply to IPCOP as it was based offof Smoothwall.

--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.