Shawn wrote:
> I think I posted this question up a while ago, but don't recall an answer.
>
> I've been trying to get an IPCop firewall setup for a friend of mine using US Cable (Warpdriveonline) as his internet provider.  I'm using IPCop to do so.  I've tried at least 10 times now to get the DHCP server address information from the ISP, and they won't give it out.  They'll give out DNS server, but no DHCP or gateway info.
>
> On Friday, someone else I know was getting it (cable modem) installed.  I asked them to get the info from the tech, and they were told "Firewalls do not require the DHCP, or gateway address.  You don't need that information."  I also asked them to inquire about MAC assignments, and they were told they don't use MAC assignments.
>
> All of that is a crock, IMO.  They do use MAC assignments.  I brought my laptop up to see if I could get the DHCP info, and it wouldn't allow my laptop on the network.  Even after sitting for quite a while connected.  I was getting a link light, and could even do a crossover to the desktop and get connectivity between machines, but not with the ISP.
>
> Is there a way to force them to give up the information?  I'm down to the last step of dragging my desktop up to my friend's house, swap NIC's out to see if I can get the DHCP server address by cating some of the network files.  Not sure which one I'd go after (Slackware), but I think it registers the DHCP server info somewhere.
>
> Is there another alternative to using IPCop and not specify the DHCP server and still get connectivity?  I've read most of the current IPCop thread, but didn't see much relating to the problem I'm encountering.
>
> Any other ideas someone might have on what to do?

I know that with my ISP (Mediacom) they require that the MAC address of
ethernet adapter accessing the service through the "modem" be registered.

For mediacom this was a simple process of accessing a special "proxy"
server and doing a web registration.

While I was not able to register through the gateway, I _was_ able to
use the NIC in another computer, register it, then put it in the gateway
/firewall system.

I am using Smoothwall so the setup for IPCop is probably not too different.

LB