OK now I think is see "MY" problem.

I'm looking for something consistent when it comes to OS, with Linux having
100's of distributions finding that consistency (for ME) may be an issue. I
need 1 place to go for solutions.

That's how M$ did it, they made themselves the 1 place to go.  Novell said use
M$ on the desktop, Apple never got a server OS going, RH is saying the same
thing now, IBM is so big they don't give a rats backside what their customers
use on the desktop.  Business's don't need X and M$ guys to support the
business at that point. It's less expensive to use a consistent and complete
OS then several.

A "consistent" "complete OS" is what the home and "small" business users need
and want as well. Having 100's of choices makes the decision a difficult and
a protracted learning expierance. Sorting out what distribution to use when
they are so similar and so different is not easy.  If I have to know them all
(to some extent) I need to know Free BSD as well.

If I can say to someone that I use a solution (Free BSD) that doesn't have an
attached question "but what about A,B,C and D" then I have a leg up.  I can
then start moving them from M$ to X and that is the primary "ideal" isn't it?

I'm not asking to be convinced to use any specific distribution. I want to
know it will be there in 6 months and not aquired by big blue or who ever.

I'm the guy expierementing to see what will work, will be easy on the desktop,
will be easy on the server, will be easy on the budget, and will be easy to
support.  If the answer to the questions is 4 or 5 distributions compaired to
1, the answer is the 1.

IMHO a small business owener or home user wanting to move away from M$ will go
with the 1.

I'm putting on the fire proof suite and standing in Lake Superior again.

Sam.

PS
3D performance is not what I'm looking for but sounds good for the home user.
Being a home user I may test it out if I can get it to run well.