On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 00:40, Bob Tanner wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 02:57 pm, bradyh at bitstream.net wrote:
> > Quoting Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
> > > What, you mean like pam_console? See, this is why I like RedHat for the
> > > desktop, it comes with pam_console set up to give access to /dev/dsp
> > > /dev/cdrom and such to anyone logged in on console. RedHat Just Works
> > > out of the box for desktop use. Debian... doesn't.
> > >
> > > Check out /etc/security/console.perms
> >
> > Aha!  I bet that's why when I hit ctrl-alt-F8 and login as another user and
> > then hit ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to my own console my sound stops working.
>
> Why are going bounce between VCs?
>
> A home user will never use a VC, they will be in X+KDE/GNOME and once logged
> in wouldn't have any sound problems.

I often use Gnome on two or more VCs...I'll give you instructions on how
it's done if you want.  Hint: it involves editing your
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

And this seems like something that could be very handy for home users if
it was done right.  This way I can let my daughter play TuxRacer without
having to worry that she'll interrupt my CVS checkout.

In your other email you said:
> Now, if you say a normal user should be able to chmod
> (however) /dev/dsp, /etc/passwd, etc, I'll fight that
> statement to the grave.

I was thinking of something that would intelligently rework
permissions.  Not run roughshod over security.  Perhaps it could be
based on an internal database...I don't know.  Something that does the
following:

You are trying to access the sound system (/dev/dsp) but are unable
because of permissions.  Would you like to
[] ignore and exit
[] ignore and continue without sound
[] give yourself temporary access to the sound system
[] give yourself permanent access to the sound system by making you a
member of the group "Audio"

or alternatively:
You are trying to access the password file (/etc/password) but are
unable because of permissions.  Would you like to
[] ignore and exit
[] supply a root password and correctly answer a couple questions from
the RHCE/LPI exam to continue
[] view some pr0n instead like a good little script kiddie

Brady