On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> What, you mean like pam_console? See, this is why I like RedHat for the
> desktop, it comes with pam_console set up to give access to /dev/dsp
> /dev/cdrom and such to anyone logged in on console. RedHat Just Works
> out of the box for desktop use. Debian... doesn't.

uhh.. imho that broke a lot more things than it fixed,
sure it works just fine when one use and one user only logs into the box
from console, but things get wierd once you try to ssh in and burn a CD
for example,

in gentoo(and i think debian as well) it does it using group
permissions ie /dev/dsp is owned by root:audio so if you want people to be
able to use audio you add the to the audio group, if you want people to
be able to play games, you add them to the games group, and so on and so
forth

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET