If I could figure out what "rpmlib" is and get it installed I be less
tired.

I've been to RH.com, google.com, I've looked at Linux documentation
until I can't see.

I've spent about 6 hours attempting to find out what it is and why it's
needed to install almost anything on RH 6.2 that is new.  The only good
thing I can say is "I'm not the only one with this problem" but the
solutions are as varied as the number of people with the problem.

I've been attempting to install OpenOffice and get a message that GLIBC
2.2 or better is needed, no big deal, I down load the rpm.  When I try
to install GLIBC 2.2.or better it tells me it can't find "rpmlib" I
thought "just install a new version of RPM"  but to do that I need
"rpmlib".

I've been going at this for way to long today, in my reading it has told
me to ignore dependences
('rpm -Fvh package.rpm' or 'rpm -Uvh package.rpm').

It's told me rpmlib is "rpmlib.h",  it's told me its in "/etc/rpm", it
isn't.  I would put it there if I cold find it but I haven't found it.
I've looked everywhere I can think of.

These are the dependencies being looked for, I've got no clue.  In fact
every new "rpm" I've looked at needs these not just GLIBC 2.2 and
OpenOffice.  I'm sort of to the point of installing NT and having a camp
fire of Linux CD's  (I'm really tired).

rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix)

Thanks