I was at joint Microsoft/Unisys vldb conference and they stated that
hyperthreading in the best circumstances gives about a 20% performance
boost.  What gets really interesting is that some software is licensed per
processor, well what do you pay when your machine says 4 but you really only
have 2.  I think just about all vendors have backed away from trying to
collect for 4 now.