On Nov 20, 2003, at 11:37 AM, bradyh at bitstream.net wrote:

> <sarcasm>Yeah, gee, man files are so useful.</sarcasm>  I really want
> to learn
> what an OCTAL-MODE FILE is so I can use my DVD player.  (Which brings
> me to my
> second rant of the day:  Why can't man files include a couple simple
> examples of
> common usages of the command?)

Then perhaps you should stick to something a little easier for you to
understand. There are other ways to represent the permissions. Further
inspection of the manpage will
show you that "chmod g+rw filename" will add group read/write
permissions to 'filename'

#----snip manpage for chmod
DESCRIPTION
        This manual page documents the GNU version of chmod.  chmod
changes the
        permissions of each given file according to mode, which can be
either a
        symbolic  representation  of changes to make, or an octal number
repre-
        senting the bit pattern for the new permissions.

        The   format   of   a   symbolic   mode   is
`[ugoa...][[+-=][rwxXs-
        tugo...]...][,...]'.   Multiple symbolic operations can be
given, sepa-
        rated by commas.

        A combination of the letters `ugoa' controls which users' access
to the
        file  will  be  changed:  the  user who owns it (u), other users
in the
        file's group (g), other users not in the file's group (o), or
all users
        (a).   If  none of these are given, the effect is as if `a' were
given,
        but bits that are set in the umask are not affected.

#------- end snip

Even more inspection of manpages will show you that there are quite
often an "EXAMPLE" section of the manpage such as in this tar manpage
on my ibook

#----snip tar manpage
EXAMPLES
      To create an archive on tape drive /dev/sa0 with a block size of 20
      blocks, containing files named bert and ernie, you can enter
            tar cfb /dev/sa0 20 bert ernie

#----- end snip

Perhaps linux is not right for you. Only you can decide that. Ranting
on-list won't fix your issues, reading the manpages however will.

> CHMOD(1)                              FSF
> CHMOD(1)
> NAME
>        chmod - change file access permissions
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        chmod [OPTION]... MODE[,MODE]... FILE...
>        chmod [OPTION]... OCTAL-MODE FILE...
>        chmod [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE...
>
> Quoting Sam MacDonald <smac at visi.com>:
>

>> LOLROF
>>
>> A home user will go back to M$
>>

>>> man chmod