<sarcasm>Yeah, gee, man files are so useful.</sarcasm>  I really want to learn
what an OCTAL-MODE FILE is so I can use my DVD player.  (Which brings me to my
second rant of the day:  Why can't man files include a couple simple examples of
common usages of the command?)

CHMOD(1)                              FSF                             CHMOD(1)
NAME
       chmod - change file access permissions

SYNOPSIS
       chmod [OPTION]... MODE[,MODE]... FILE...
       chmod [OPTION]... OCTAL-MODE FILE...
       chmod [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE...