>>>>> "b" == bradyh  <bradyh at bitstream.net> writes:

    b> I've been a Gnome loyalist for a long time and while KDE has a nice interface
    b> Gnome/GTK has the programs (Gimp, Gaim, even versions of Firebird and Eclipse).

    b> Of course you can run KDE stuff on a Gnome system and
    b> vice-versa so the only real choice is what desktop are you
    b> going to use.  I like the Gnome-panel (the menu bar) a lot and
    b> when Nautilus (the file manager) works it works well.  Lately
    b> my Nautilus bogs down and won't display directorys until it's
    b> killed now and then but I'm sure that will go away next
    b> release.  Metacity (the window manager) is very stable and
    b> relatively pretty.

The thing I didn't like about Nautilus is that it didn't take the
filename's word for it about MIME type.  So Nautilus would try to open
all my Star Office (OpenOffice) documents (encoded in XML) with a web
browser, because it could see that they were really XML...  I rooted
around in some mailing lists, and it seemed like this was a known bug
and the developers weren't going to fix it.  Since XML formats are
only going to become more popular, not less, I threw in the towel on
my Nautilus experiment and went back to KDE...

[Actually, this was an experiment for my wife's benefit.  I hate GUIs,
and I *especially* hate file system browsers.  If I want to open a
file, I'll just type 'oowriter <foo> &' and be done with it.]