I've been a Gnome loyalist for a long time and while KDE has a nice interface
Gnome/GTK has the programs (Gimp, Gaim, even versions of Firebird and Eclipse).

Of course you can run KDE stuff on a Gnome system and vice-versa so the only
real choice is what desktop are you going to use.  I like the Gnome-panel (the
menu bar) a lot and when Nautilus (the file manager) works it works well.
Lately my Nautilus bogs down and won't display directorys until it's killed now
and then but I'm sure that will go away next release.  Metacity (the window
manager) is very stable and relatively pretty.

Brady