Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> The benefit of being similar to the most popular
> desktop environment is considerable, and I don't
> see a recognition of similarity as a slam.
>
> On the other hand, I think there is a finite bag
> of tricks an "intuitive" GUI desktop will have.
> All three (Windows, Gnome, and KDE) have most
> of them.
>
> The thing I like most about Gnome and KDE is that
> they are optional. :-)

Not only are they optional, but gnome at least is themable
and configurable in ways that are kind of amazing.  You
can have your choice of button bars, task bars, applets,
window managers, etc...

If you don't want to look like windows you most definitely
don't have to.

(My son has button bars on all 4 sides of his screen and each
bar is packed with xeyes applets.  It's pretty cool but I
could never work that way).