500Mhz and 192Meg of RAM is slow???!!!!

That's a great machine, more than probably 70% of the people on the
Internet need for what they do. Most people work on MSWord docs and surf
the web, and yet they feel the need to always have the latest and
fastest PC available.

My primary is a 750Mhz Duron with 768Meg of RAM running Win98SE (yeah,
yeah, I know).
My secondary is a 400Mhz Intell with 384Meg of RAM running Mandrake9.1
and it works great. Actually both PCs work great. I have no problems
with "speed" on either machine.

I may be way off base here,(let the flames begin!) but it seems that
Redhat is following in Microsoft's footsteps by "bloating" the so-called
"basic" system, which in turn creates a slower system. At least with
SUSE you can choose a "bare-bones" install. My advice. Reload the system
and this time manually go through the applications that are loaded and
prune out some of the stuff that you never use, maybe even consider
going with Slackware or VectorLinux or Debian. I've got a great article
that I printed out that guides you through installing a very "base"
Debian system, I think it takes less than 500Megs of disk space. I could
probably scan it and send it out, or maybe even find the URL on the
printout. I never accept the "default" application load on any operating
system, Linux or Windows.

--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.