On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:37:15 -0600 (CST)
"Matthew C. Dettinger" <matthew at redroot.org> wrote:

> My biggest concern is sound. I would prefer to never hear the system, but
> understand that there will be some hard drive use, and a power supply fan.

Here is what I have found out about making a PC system quiet:

- For the HD, look at the Seagate Barracuda ATA5 series.. very, very quiet.

- Papst fans (the quiet ones..) wherever possible; PSU mainly, but case fans as well, should you need them.

- Where you can't get a quiet fan, use a series resistor to drop the speed. Use a pot inititally to find the sound vs. heat level you can tolerate, then measure the pot and use a similar fixed resistor to replace it.

- For the CPU cooling, use the Zalman 'copper flower' coolers, with the 92mm fan in 'stealth mode' (uses a supplied series resistor). Zalman parts are NICE!

- Use a wide tape (I have a 2" aluminum tape) to block off the vent holes on the bottom of the PSU, if they are exposed to the world via vents in the case.

- If heat becomes an issue, use more of slower fans, rather than less of faster fans.

-L