    Munir> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
    >> I have a Samsung ML-1210 linux driver to use instead of the built-in
    >> foomatic one.  I've been unwilling to do it --- after all, it KINDA
    >> works now, if I'm willing to restart more often than I should.  I'm
    >> not at all convinced I'll be able to get it back to the original state
    >> if I install the Samsung drivers!  And they seem to be compiled
    >> against glibc 2.1, whereas I'm on 2.3....  </sigh>

    Munir> ppds? compiled? huh?

    Munir> ppds are text files... you dont compile them

All I know is what I read:

# Return the appropriate version string
DetectLIBC()
{
    status=1
          if [ `uname -s` != Linux ]; then
                  echo "glibc-2.1"
                  return $status
          fi
      if [ -f `echo /lib/libc.so.6* | tail -1` ]; then
              if fgrep GLIBC_2.1 /lib/libc.so.6* 2> $NULL >> $NULL; then
                      echo "glibc-2.1"
                      status=0
              else
                      echo "glibc-2.0"
                      status=0
              fi
      elif [ -f /lib/libc.so.5 ]; then
              echo "libc5"
              status=0
      else
              echo "unknown"
      fi
      return $status
}

And there's a bin component to the Samsung distribution.  I don't know
why --- it's too user-friendly to tell me :-( and I've always lived in
happy ignorance of unix printing internals before...