I've seen several people looking for Open Source Projects to participate
in so I'm posing this to both groups.

Lets say I have a laptop (toshiba, compaq, what ever) configured as follows.
Pentium 166mhz, 1.5 - 2 gig hard disk, 32 mb ram, 12 in display, 10 mbit
nic, external mouse & trackpoint or touch pad, _no_ CDROM (well maybe a
CDROM).

I want to put Linux on it with X Windows, OpenOffice and MySQL (maybe
PHP?).  I want to have enough disk space for storing the database and
documents.  Remember this is for business.

What distribution should I use, I want it to be easy, "free", and stable?

Yes this has to do with the computer disposal business I'm getting
started.  I don't want to start with M$ because, well, I'm broke :-[
and then I would have to file chapter 13 after I bought it :-D

I've only been a Cobol programmer (2 years), I've done a little (very
little) PHP out of the book, a bunch of HTML,  and a touch of
JavaScript.  I was trained as a structured (top down) programmer.  This
new fangled action-reaction stuff drives me a little buggy.

The database would have very few tables and fields, I'm no dba so...
Tables
    customers
        business names, contact names, addresses, phone numbers, other
such information
    customer inventory
        CPU serial number, Display serial number, HD serial number,
Asset Tag number.
    (not sure what else)

1. Can I use the spread sheet within OpenOffice to create a data input
and reporting system?
            I would also like to use Writer for certificates that get
data from the database as well.

2. Should I ask for help building a data input system that's open source
and available on my website or your website "free"?
            (I like this idea but someone else is going to have to
manage the project.)

This would be something "small" businesses could use to inventory their
computer stuff.  It would be easy to install and maintain and would
interface with OpenOffice without a hitch.  It would be able to function
on the M$ platform if needed without tweaking it.

Anyone have any ideas or want to take this one on?

Sam.