Snif the network between boxes during a print may tell you some things.

Figure out the flow of data through the box that is hanging,
and put in debug traces.  So for example, stuff in some
go-between scripts in /etc/printcap that print the time and such
to a log.  This can be tricky cause printing systems seem to
be this huge kludge of grungy scripting pasted together with
sticks and gum and duct tape, the syntax of printcap
sucks, etc.  So for example, cups may pass the data over to a
rendering program at some point, eventually over to lpt, so try
and put scripts inbetween these points and mark the time of completion:
echo Step 1 at `date` >> /tmp/print.log
Try to narrow it down to the troubled component.

The basic flow should be something like this:
printdata -> network -> lpd(cups)
lpd(cups) -> /var/buffer(scripting hell) ->
rendering if needed(more scripting hell) ->
out to printer, wherever that may be.

Sorry, I shouldn't make fun or call it scripting hell.  Its actually
the most incredibly flexible wonderful system, long live unix,
printing standards, ra ra ra!

STOP KILLING TREES!  TIE YOURSELF TO A TREE WITH ROOTS YOU AIN'T
GOIN NOWHERE.