Tom Penney wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:12, Rodney G. Garayt wrote:
>

>>I want to know what the correct steps are for partitioning a drive
>>during a new RH9 install.
>>My setup is two hd.  The boot drive is fully allocated to Win98 and the
>>second drive is for Linux.  What I want to do is allocate 10 gig from
>>the primary drive (the "win98 drive") for Linux.
>>How do I do that?
>>

>If you really need 10 gig from that win98 drive for linux you'll have to
>re-partition the drive. I'm assuming you don't want to trash anything on
>your Win98 drive and the drive has one big'ol Fat32 partition on it
>useing the whole drive.
>
>1) Your could backup your windows, repartition the drive With 2
>partitions trashing everything, then restore windows to the smaller
>partition. then you would have space to install on hda.
>
>2) shrink your windows partiton with Partition Magic or something like
>it (are there any open source programs that will do this??) leaving you
>space for your linux partiton.
>
>3) install linux to your other drive.
>
>Once you have room on the win98 drive for a linux partition the
>installer should be fairly self explanatory. You can format the space on
>the drives 3 ways with the installer if I'm not mistaken, using fdisk,
>Disk druid gui, or full auto, whatever that is.
>
>- Tom
>

>>My previous version of Linux was Mandrake 9.1 and that has a very nice
>>partitioning tool (diskdrake) that would have allowed me to do that
>>during the install process but I coudn't figure it out with the GUI RH9
>>install.  What should I have done?
>>

>Can the Mandrake installer shrink existing Fat32 partitions?

I have win98 on a 60 gig hd and RH9 on a 5 gig hd.  If I had
re-installed Mandrake from scratch I could have defined 10 gigs from the
"c:" drive along with the 5 gig drive for Linux... I seem to recall
having done this in the past with Mandrake... anyway that's what I'd
like to do now.  I absolutely do NOT want to mess with win98.  I just
had to re-install it a couple of weeks ago and it takes nearly two days
to install it and all the other software I use on it.   No I don't have
PartitionMagic and I don't want to spend the money just for this
one-time use.
What I think I can do is do a Mandrake install then come back and do a
RH install.  Sounds kinda like a long way to go but Mandrake would be
able to assist me in defining the drives the way I want them.  Then when
I did RH I'd tell it to accept the existing partitions.
Btw, if the 5 gig drive defined for linux is partitioned as /, swap and
[the other one... i forget... /usr?] , how should I label/mount the 10
gig ext3 space to linux?