On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:12, Rodney G. Garayt wrote:
> I want to know what the correct steps are for partitioning a drive
> during a new RH9 install.
> My setup is two hd.  The boot drive is fully allocated to Win98 and the
> second drive is for Linux.  What I want to do is allocate 10 gig from
> the primary drive (the "win98 drive") for Linux.
> How do I do that?

If you really need 10 gig from that win98 drive for linux you'll have to
re-partition the drive. I'm assuming you don't want to trash anything on
your Win98 drive and the drive has one big'ol Fat32 partition on it
useing the whole drive.

1) Your could backup your windows, repartition the drive With 2
partitions trashing everything, then restore windows to the smaller
partition. then you would have space to install on hda.

2) shrink your windows partiton with Partition Magic or something like
it (are there any open source programs that will do this??) leaving you
space for your linux partiton.

3) install linux to your other drive.

Once you have room on the win98 drive for a linux partition the
installer should be fairly self explanatory. You can format the space on
the drives 3 ways with the installer if I'm not mistaken, using fdisk,
Disk druid gui, or full auto, whatever that is.

- Tom

> My previous version of Linux was Mandrake 9.1 and that has a very nice
> partitioning tool (diskdrake) that would have allowed me to do that
> during the install process but I coudn't figure it out with the GUI RH9
> install.  What should I have done?

Can the Mandrake installer shrink existing Fat32 partitions?

Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>