Being in the IT industry and specifically in software development,
I know I've killed off a lot of jobs.  We used to have two full time
accountants - they've been replaced with good software and a clerical
worker.

We used to have a full middle management staff to generate and ride
herd on our production schedules.  A couple of those people moved up,
most moved out.  Good scheduling software kind of wiped them out.

In a nutshell our business volume has more than doubled and our employee
count has stayed about the same and the proportion of skilled to
unskilled labor has dropped.

I guess I feel hypocritical complaining now that IT workers are getting
the axe due to changing capabilities and economics.

My sympathies to the blacksmiths and typewriter repair people as well...

I just remembered at one time I was a pretty hot shot tube TV repairman...

I think I need lunch - my brain seems deprived of something necessary...

So, what about that IBM and RedHat subject line, eh?
Kent