On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:17:59AM -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:19:28PM -0500, David Blevins wrote:
> >
> > This is a pretty interesting subject.  Some time ago, someone posted a few zsh commands that were pretty powerful.  File globbing is built right into the shell.  If you have zsh installed, type these commands for fun:
> >
> > zsh # startup the shell
> >
> > ls **/**.html
> >
> > grep "foobar" **/**.html
> >

> > I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable in zsh can boast about it's capabilities, but I know I'm impressed.  If that feature was in bash, I'd use it practically everyday.
> >

> What are the intended results? Bash has done that for as long as I can remember

The results are identical to a find command.

$ find ./ -name "*.html"
./abc/asdf/foo.html
./abc/asdf/test.html
./abc/bar.html
./test.html
./xyz/qwer/oofrab.html
./xyz/test.html

$ bash
$ ls **/**.html
abc/bar.html  xyz/test.html

$ zsh
$ ls **/**.html
abc/asdf/foo.html   abc/bar.html  xyz/qwer/oofrab.html
abc/asdf/test.html  test.html     xyz/test.html

I don't use zsh, but it's certainly an attractive feature.

-David