    Matthew> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:25:57PM -0600, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
    >>
    >> The reason I was asking is that there's a very inexpensive Micro
    >> Advantage DVD RW drive at
    >>
    >> At least some of what I found by googling seemed to suggest that I
    >> should stick to Pioneer drives and avoid any others.

    Matthew> Marketing drivel from people who don't know any better

Actually, I don't think that's fair --- I got that information from
the DVD-rtools web site.  I suspect it's just a case of no one
bothering to update the site.

    >> What have your experiences been?  I'm interested in moving from CDs to
    >> DVDs for backup purposes....

    Matthew> I've been quite happy with my sony DRU-500A for the past
    Matthew> year or so, sony released a firmware upgrade to take it
    Matthew> from 2.4X DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW writing to 4X, which is rather
    Matthew> nice since most companies would just bump the model
    Matthew> number and charge more.

Sadly, this seems to involve a $150+ sony premium.  DRU and Micro
Advantage are significantly cheaper (< 150 w/ rebate as opposed to
almost $300).  :-(