On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:25:57PM -0600, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> The reason I was asking is that there's a very inexpensive Micro
> Advantage DVD RW drive at
>
> At least some of what I found by googling seemed to suggest that I
> should stick to Pioneer drives and avoid any others.

Marketing drivel from people who don't know any better.

> What have your experiences been?  I'm interested in moving from CDs to
> DVDs for backup purposes....

I've been quite happy with my sony DRU-500A for the past year or so, sony
released a firmware upgrade to take it from 2.4X DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW writing
to 4X, which is rather nice since most companies would just bump the model
number and charge more.