On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:42:16AM -0600, Kent Schumacher wrote:
> The find command spec'd below will fail if there are files found by the
> find command that have spaces or quote characters in their names.  The
> following will be slower but will work with all (?) file names.
>
> 	find . -type f -exec grep -y 'user at ispcom' {} \;
>
> Note that you might get lots of garbage spewed out since the found file
> may be binary.  In this case you might want to have grep just report
> the filename.
>
> 	find . -type f -exec grep -ly 'user at ispcom' {} \;

You could always do:

  find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -il user at ispcom

which uses nulls as the filename separator, so you can handle filenames
with whitespace.  TMTOWTDI.

I didn't know what "-y" does; my manpage says it's equivalent to -i.
I always use "-i" cos that's what Perl uses for case-insensitive
matching.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota