And hence AUTHOR wrote: Justin Haaheim
> If I'm not mistaken, the idea of giving out the cd's is to attract
> people to linux.

That's how I read it. LINUX. Not RH9, specifically. Here I have a slack 4,
rh5.2, slack 7.0, 7.1, 8.1, RH 6.2, 7.2 (2) ...  LINUX. (I never do .0
RH.) When time permits I was pondering replacing rh5.2 with 7.3, or if
they have a .1 out by then, sure. No, there's no debian. Without getting
deep let's just say I think I have too much 'management' in my life
already. :)

>I'm not sure that having a weeding agent helps our
> cause.

Sir, merely a figure of speech, intended to point out that I rather doubt
anyone would NOT take a free CD if it weren't RH9. They might even be
pleased to know there was more than one variety.

>Sure, a redhat system and a slack system and a gentoo system are
>  all fundamentally similar -- they're all linux.  But installing gentoo
> took me days and installing redhat took me 45 minutes.

Prior to your Gentoo adventure, what distribution did you usually run?

>If the people
> we're giving these cd's to are well-versed and interested in spending
> the time on a debian or gentoo install, then fine, but then I don't
> think those kind of people would immediately associate linux with
> redhat.

If not, all they see/try/know of is Redhat then?  What if they have issues
with some of the default installation configuration and are unable to
'easily and transparently' resolve it? I.E. The 'default firewall' or auto
partitioning, etc.

>Keep in mind, there's a difference between associating linux
> with redhat and associating easy-and-transparent-linux with redhat.

Well I can promise you that I will NEVER associate 'easy and transparent'
with redhat. Again, that's just me. Ford/Chevy Coke/Pepsi, whatever. I
just like to be aware of the fact that both exist and while one goes
smooth for you it doesn't for me but the other has a cool can, so I'll try
that one once.

Been to HP/Compaq website lately? WinXP, Win2kPRO, and MANDRAKE Linux are
the OS choices on the new Evo BUSINESS desktop PC's there. At least the
310, 510 series. I personally am a slackh0 but I think that's pretty d**n
cool
an outfit of those proportions is doing this.

I'm rather strapped for $$, and I don't know where all the media is coming
from but I DO have a fairly new (up to) 48x burner and work out of my
house and would be happy to start a mass production of a variety of
installation ISO's if I had the media. Would it help if I picked up a
spool of 50 (or whatever) and burned them? I can certainly do that. In
fact I just happen to have a $10 orafice max coupon here somewhere iirc.
:)

-mj

P.S. If this is in any way a Redhat Sponsored event, please disregard the
     message above in it's entirety.

> justin
>

>>I do see a trend where "linux" to many new/curious folks means REDHAT,
>> and in the past have found that 'linux support' meant that there was an
>> RPM available, nothing more. That just ain't right. There should be
>> fair and equal "billing" for all. If someone passes because all you
>> have left are Debian, Slack, Gentoo or whatever then I'd consider that
>> a good "weeding agent" and let them pass.
>>
>>.02
>>
>>-mj
>>

>>>I think one of the great things about linux and
>>>open source is that you're not locked into one vendor's distro.  I
>>> think it's important to get that message out so people don't get the
>>> idea that RedHat = Linux.  There are always alternatives...
>>>
>>>Personally, I think Debian might be too much for a new user doing an
>>> initial install without assistance.  But for a workstation, and for
>>> someone who doesn't want to compile everything, it rocks.  The package
>>> management is far superior to rpm, IMHO.
>>>
>>>Slackware's installer is menu driven and straight forward.  Accepting
>>> the defaults (like redhat installs) gets you a running system in no
>>> time.  It detects most common PC hardware out of the box.  It just
>>> works.  Makes a great workstation and gives you the flexibility to
>>> learn more when you're ready to start compiling stuff from source.
>>>
>>>distro flames > /dev/null
>>>--
>>>scot

>>Jentges.NET, Inc.