On Tue, 13 May 2003, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Does anyone know which wires go where if I want to crimp an RJ45 connector
> onto a Cat3

I don't remember the exact colors, but IIRC Cat3 is 2 pair cabling
with orange, orange/white, blue, and blue/white conductors.  It
uses USOC, which basically means:

12344321

On an RJ45 connector.  If you have orange, orange/white, blue, and
blue/white, you wire orange/white to pin 3, blue/white to pin 4, blue to
pin 5, and orange to pin 6.

Btw, I applaud you for using RJ45 plugs for this.  Most people try to use
Rj11, and while it works, it will most likely bend pins 1 and 8 of your
patch panel into oblivion.

This should work for you, I don't think I swapped tip and ring.  Btw, I
recommend buying a phone line tester.  I found a little unit for $5 that
has an RJ11 on one end and an LED on the other.  It quickly tells you
good, bad, or reverse wiring.

-Brian