Kurt writes:
> I'm assuming I need to set up my own DNS.  Just not sure how.  I've
> read so many docs, but I think I'm more confused than when I started.

You gave conflicting information.  I'm assuming that you want to host both
the DNS and HTTP service for your own domain name on your own server.

First need to delegate the domain name to your server.  You must do this
through your domain name registrar.  They should have an easy web based
interface for you to use.  Create two name servers for it, such as
a.ns.example.com and b.ns.example.com.  Set the IP addresses for those as
the IP addresses of your server.  If you only have one IP address, you only
need to create one name server.

Next, you need an authoritative DNS server for your machine.  You mentioned
you installed BIND.  I strongly recommend you uninstall that immediately.
BIND is buggy, bloated, difficult to administer and has been historically
insecure.  There are better alternatives.

tinydns is a good choice for many users.  It is small, fast, secure and easy
to use.  This page explains how to set it up:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/run-server.html

Another good choice is MyDNS.  MyDNS serves data directly from a MySQL or
PostgrSQL database.  It is easy to setup and comes with a complete web
interface:

http://mydns.bboy.net/

You might also consider paying someone else to host DNS for you.  For
example, directNIC.com offers DNS for only $5 per year.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/