On 7 May 2003, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Well, I think the problem Brian is trying to solve is getting data from
> his network across a fiber line without jumping for fiber token ring
> transceivers.

Yup.  I realized that I actually need 4 transceivers, because with token
ring I need a ring in and out on each side.  Even from a cheap house,
that's $2,000, quite a bit of cash for a few months of use.

> It might just be that new copper has to be pulled

500 ft distance, which would require repeaters, for a temporary setup.  If
it would work with one solid copper pull, I'd do it.  Factoring in
repeaters, it again gets costly for temporary use

> It's theoretically possible, but I don't know if anyone's done it.

It sounds like it's very possible, but I haven't seen any procedures/code
for setting this up.

> I suspect that would require going and reconfiguring all of the relevant
> client machines though, which is less than desirable.

Reconfiguring the client machines is probably going to be needed no matter
what I do, if I manage to get a router/bridge configuration working.

> Also, they seem to really recommend token ring switches, and I imagine
> it would be possible to get switch with a fiber port, but that's
> probably even more expensive than the transceiver idea..

Of course it is :-).  Another idea I had was setting up a pair of bridges
so I could convert TR to ethernet, run over fiber, then convert back.  Is
there any way to do this with a set of routers?  I have a /24 block of IPs
and an IPX network number on my side.  I want to set up a bridge to
convert it to ethernet, cary it over fiber as ethernet, then convert it
back.  Machines that plug into the remote bridge will then use IPs from
that /24 block and the same IPX number.  Is this even possible?  if not, I
have to reconfigure all the clients anyway, somewhat negating the need for
this.

-Brian