Let's clarify something first:  *I'm NOT* moving stuff around.  This
thread was started by someone else.

Standardization is perhaps not the clearest term in this situation.
It's more of a standard abstraction.

> The people who write and packages and the various linux distributions
> decide where this stuff goes. They know a hell of a lot more about how
> to organize a file system than the average user. The Idea behind a
> distribution is to have this type of work completed so the users &
> Admins don't have to.

Sure.  It's great that the distributor decides this ahead of time, but
the layout they choose is heavily dictated by the historical structure
of the filesystem.  Essentially, we're stuck with what we have unless
you want to go out and build your own distribution.  I'm not going to
argue the reasons that someone might change the structure: I'm not
trying to change it.  I, personally, have no reason to.  Say, however, a
large company is installing linux as their primary operating system on
all their machines and they want to rename and reorganize the filesystem
so that it's more intuitive and explicit.  They're left with needing to
build their own distribution which is overkill for a simple matter of
renaming a /etc to /configuration.  Say, in a separate circumstance, a
company want's to make their linux installations congruent with the
filesystem of another os (for the learning curve or more technical
reasons).  The fact is that none of these are practical as it is without
building your own distribution which is silly given the number of
distributions currently out there.

Abstracting the filesystem in the way I described wouldn't change
anything for the end user, and the dumb ones wouldn't have to fool
around with it.  It would be standardized because there would be a
single file recognized as the place to go for information on the
filesystem structure.

Justin