On Mon, 5 May 2003, Justin Haaheim wrote:

> 1) users should be able to customize how things are set up on their
> computer.  Hell, even windows lets you move around default directories.

Under 9x, if you moved stuff around you found out who coded correctly
(%Start Menu%) and who just assumed things (c:\windows\Start
Menu).  Sadly, a lot of coders assumed things were left at default, and
you found out quickly who they were.  Usually it's best not to move
things, symlinks would have helped this but symlinks under Win9x are iffy
at best.

With 2K/XP, all the luser stuff stays in Documents and Settings\Luser\,
the programs stay in \Program Files\, and the System stuff stays in
\Windows\.  Once coders embrace it, a Windows box will have 3 root
directories and an empty root, and life will be good.  Actually, it will
kind of look like UNIX (/home, /usr, and /opt).

> 2) standardization.

???  I thought this thread was about moving stuff around to fit your
taste.  Last I checked, that's the opposite of standardization.  There is
a standard, it's being used, you want to create your own structure and
form a new standard to be non-standard?  Seriously dude, WHY are you
moving your stuff around?

And I love the 30-yr argument.  One side of the table (mostly funded by
Microsoft) says that since it's 30 yrs old, it needs to die.  The other
side (scary looking 50 yr old bearded hackers) say it worked from the
beginning, it works still, everyone uses it, why change?  It ain't
broken!

-Brian