Erik Anderson writes:
 > I've used Sprint for the last several years, and have had no problems.
 > I know that there are a lot of people that like to flame sprint, but I
 > think they provide a good service with pretty good coverage IMHO.

My experience is that they provide crummy customer service, they put
up useless barriers to talking to a human, and their web page for
billing, etc. is often busted.  Oh, wait, I've just said that Sprint
is a telecom company!  They all suck.

If I was going to get a new cell account, what I would do is find
someone with an existing account on that service and

(1) check to see how coverage is IN AREAS I TEND TO FREQUENT and

(2) take the phone and check how coverage is IN MY HOUSE AND PLACE OF
WORK.

Until I moved, Sprint PCS had a coverage dead zone that covered my
house.  Very bad.  Verizon, on the other hand, had excellent coverage
there.  Unfortunately, I hadn't thought to check with a phone set
before getting the Sprint account.  I lucked out, though, and got good
coverage in my new house.

Nationwide Sprint coverage seems very good.  The only dead zone I've
really found is spotty coverage in Uptown.  Unfortunately, that's
where I live!