With respect to SuSE 8.1. I installed PHP onto a SuSE
8.1 server for the sole purpose of running
Squirrelmail. I can say that I didn't need to do
anything beyond package install to get it to work.

Locations on SuSE 8.1:

1. PHP module (libphp4.so) is installed to
/usr/lib/apache on SuSE 8.0 should be the same on 8.1

2. Apache working directory is (I beleive) /srv/www. In
this directory should be cgi-bin/, icons/ and htdocs/.
On earlier versions of SuSE (upto and including 8.0)
Apache is /usr/local/httpd. As was stated earlier one
way to find where the apache or php stuff is located is
to use rpm -ql on the package names or if you have KDE
available use kpackage.

Hope that helps a little.

Jack

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Marc Olivier wrote:

> Hello.
> I've written before, but didn't really get answers
that
> resolved my
> issue(s). I have both SuSE 8.1 and Red Hat 7.3
> packages, and both seem to
> come with Apache and PHP. However, PHP doesn't work in
> either package. I
> checked the httpd.conf and php.ini files, and compared
> what I found there
> to the material I found in the How-To's and the MAN
> pages. I also consulted
> a Wrox book, and O'Reilly book and www.php.net. I
> cannot figure out why PHP
> doesn't work. I have tried saving a new file as *.php
> as well as *.htm, but
> the PHP code doesn't generate results. All the
relevant
> lines seem to be
> present in httpd.conf, but I'm not clear about
php.ini.

> Several  things I notice is that all the material
seems
> to show that Apache
> resides in /usr/local/apache, and the relevant php
> module reference in
> httpd.conf seems to require a line /libexec/libphp4
> .so; I don't seem to
> have a directory or subdirectory /libexec. On both Red
> Hat and SuSE, Apache
> does not reside in /usr/local/apache, and I don't find
> a directory or
> subdirectory /libexec. So what exactly does it take to
> get PHP to run given
> the apparently non-standard directory structure?
>
> Marc

Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com