On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 04:53, Ben Luey wrote:
> I'm having lots of problems with Mandrake 9.1. I tried to upgrade from
> mandrake 9.0, but the install hung on openoffice and corrupted my
> rpm database, So I did a fresh install, but kept my home directory, and
> the install went fine. I created a new login with an empty /home
> directory, and my old username that has all my old config files, etc in
> /home: With either login I have the following problems:
>
> galeon crashes immediatedly on the startup.
> mozilla won't load because " error while loading shared libraries:
> libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
> Under KDE or Gnome, there is not a menu list of the available programs
> under the "start" menu. They are in the configuration, as seen with
> menudrake.
> rpmdrake has no sources installed, so it doesn't list packages not
> installed that came on the install cds. I was able to fix this with
> manually adding sources to urpmi, (although the list is without
> descriptions and a list of files).
>
> Probably more problems as I go searching -- it feels like something in the
> install got messed up and some important final configuration or something
> got messed up -- I'm sure most people don't have a mozilla library error
> on startup with a fresh install of Mandrake 9.1. But the install gave no
> errors, so I'm at a loss for what to do and I don't know how my install
> can be different for other people's, but clearly it is. Any ideas greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>

> Ben Luey
> lueyb at jilau1.colorado.edu

Did you download the cd iso images?  Did you check the md5sum for the
files right before burning them?  I had a problem with one machine that
never seemed to work, error after error.  Turns out the isos got
corrupted after I downloaded them.  I had to leave in a hurry so I
didn't have time to burn them, so I transfered them through samba to my
laptop, somehow the transfer messed them up and I waisted a whole day
debugging the machine before I finally checked the isos and found the
problem.  The errors sound like the same ones I had.  Make sure you
check the isos before burning them.
--
Chris Frederick <cdf123 at cdf123.com>