Using smb://host/share (or just smb://host/) gives you access to a single
computer. Using lan://localhost/ (which is what you get when you click on
"LAN Browser" in the left panel) gives you a list of hosts. I had to
install kdenetwork3-lisa to make this work, because it was not installed by
default on my system (SuSE). You configure the range of IP addresses to
scan in the KDE control center under Network/LAN Browser.

The KDE LAN browser will show other services in addition to SMB (http, ftp,
ssh). I just got it working recently and haven't used it much. For some
reason I don't understand, the host list consists of host names for some
machines and IP addresses for others.

Patrick