Ok, I've got a bit of new information.

It turns out that kdeinit_shutdown doesn't even do what I want it to do.
  That brings me back to the login screen, but when I just tried it, it
didn't shut down kmix properly.  The only thing that has succesfully
shut down kmix properly is the actual logout button on my KDE panel.
Does anybody know what command(s) that specific button executes?

Another thought occured to me.  I could possibly achieve the same effect
for what I'm going for if I could run a script that closes all programs
properly first, and then just /sbin/halt's.  Does anybody know how I
would go about closing all programs running in kde the way that kde does
it with the logout button?

thanks
justin