tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org writes:

> Message: 5
> From: Perry Hoekstra <dutchman_mn at charter.net>
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Date: 17 Mar 2003 20:04:47 -0600
> Subject: [TCLUG] Flickering Screen
>
> I have a question.  I have an older Sony Muliscan 20se.  Just recently,
> the screen has started to flicker heavily.  I can shut off the monitor
> and turn it on which will resolve the issue for about five minutes.  Now
> this only occurs under X (The video card is a Matrox G450 with RedHat
> 8.0/KDE).  If I am at a basic terminal then there is no flicker, nor
> under Windows 2000 (for when I have to dual-boot in order to do that
> Office thang).  Is X just pushing my old monitor more than the other
> two?

You don't say what video mode / resolution you are using under X and under
Windows.  If it is the same resolution under both, then I'm a bit stumped!
If X is higher resolution, then that's likely your problem.

You say that it resolves for about 5 minutes after power cycling the
monitor.  That makes me wonder if it's a heat related issue in a power
supply.  I had that happen on a Radius monitor that I mounted at an angle in
a special console once -- not enought venting that way.  (It was solved by
removing the outer casing, so that the heat from near the cathode could rise
and cool by convection instead of being trapped by the outer case.)

Obviously, yours may just be old, but I wonder about your resolutions.

Cheers,

"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous