On Friday 14 March 2003 05:36 pm, Mark wrote:
> What would be the best, current and easiest Linux distribution to use
> (including X Windows) on an old  P60 512mg HD 40mg RAM?
>
> I do not want to upgrade the hardware in any way and would like to get
> some useable speed out of it for a workstation.

Is it on a network?  You might want to try out the Linux Terminal Server
Project (www.ltsp.org) or the K-12 Terminal Server project
(www.k12ltsp.org).

I was playing with it for a while.  I had a PII450 w/384MB RAM as the
server and was using a P200 w/64MB RAM as the workstation and had good
response across a 10BaseT hub.  The nice thing is that you don't need any
HD on the workstation, but can use it for local swap if you want.  The
response time is more a function of the server and network than the local
machine.

Otherwise, try Debian with a lite window manager...
--
Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist dot com